1. Computer Servicesthianotech is already taking advantage of this.
2. Livestock FarmingLivestock farming is a booming business in Ghana and the trend is not dying anytime soon. With 25+ million mouths to feed daily, there will always be demand for livestock products. However, lack of technical know-how and the use of old fashioned equipment are the major factors hampering the growth of this industry. If you can come in with adequate knowledge and the patience to nurture this business, you will reap immensely. Now you can choose to either venture into livestock breeding of animals or better still, you can stick to livestock feed production or equipment retailing.
◦Poultry farming – Egg production, meat production, hatchery or day-old-chicks production, etc.
◦Cattle Farming – Diary (milk) production, beef, etc.
◦Piggery (note, I don't take pork though, haha)
3. Agro-products exportationGhana is blessed with a lot of food and natural resources; and most of these natural resources are raw materials needed for the production of some finished products. Every day, tons of raw materials and food products leave the shores of Ghana to countries such as India, Vietnam, China, USA, UK, Brazil, etc; yet, the demand is never met. You can become an exporter by simply registering with the Ghana Import and Export Promotion Council and decide on the specific product you wish to export. Examples of products highly in demand are Chili pepper, Kola nuts, Bitter Kola, Gari(we not the only ones eating Gob3, haha), Cocoa, Groundnut, Yam, Cashew nuts, Tomatoes etc.
4. MiningGhana is blessed with a lot of mineral resources like Gold, Diamond, Iron ore, Bauxite, etc. Aside this, the mining industry in Ghana is set to take off because the government in 2013 implemented the Local Content Policy to favor Ghanaians in the mining and oil sector. This act I believe, will spur the growth in the mining sector. If you have the financial capacity and a team, you can position yourself in this sector. Don't let foreigners take us over.
5. Setting up Small Private refineryThere are lots of business opportunities in the oil and gas sector. Building a private refinery and refining crude oil is another business you should look into because there is a lot of potential in it. It is a known fact that most of petroleum products consumed in Ghana are imported. Since there is no more petrol subsidy in Ghana, this business will be a very profitable one.Just make little research about it if you have ample capital.
6. Establish a Television and Radio Broadcast StationI see an opportunity for entrepreneurs and investors with interest and competence in broadcasting or mass media. You can either choose to setup a radio station or TV Station. But not in the main cities such as Accra, Kumasi and Takoradi. Those cities are already saturated (not the chemical saturation) with TV and Radio stations.Instead, you can establish some at the Eastern, Northern and Volta parts of the country since they don't have may private TV stations of their own. You can become rich with this.
7. Set up a security companyThere is a huge demand for excellent security services in Ghana. As the government battle to improve the security situation in the country, individuals and corporate entities are now becoming aware of the fact that security is not the responsibility of the government alone; it is a collective responsibility. Hence, the current increase in demand for security guards, bodyguards, executive protection professionals and security gadgets or devices. We have all seen how the Upper East Regional Chairman of NPP, Adams Mahama was killed.And how security at Ghanaian universities is so loose. More security is going to be needed by the schools and Politicians. As an entrepreneur or investor, you can setup a security guard recruitment or training company, or you can setup a bodyguard agency. Also, you can import and sell security products and safety devices such as security cameras, bullet proofs etc.
8. Construction companyGhana is still a developing country especially in the area of infrastructure but this is set to change in the nearest future. Massive constructions are currently on-going in Ghana ranging from bridges, roads, towers and skyscrapers, etc. If you are a rich Ghanaian overseas, or you have the financial capacity to assemble the needed team and machinery for a construction company; then this is a business you should invest in.
9. Real Estate developmentI have met a lot of individuals with money piling up in the bank, but they don’t seem to know what to do with that money. Yet I hear stories of people facing accommodation pr
oblems; not because they can’t afford it but because there is none within their choice of location. Also, I hear woeful stories from students in various universities and other high institutions who live under harsh conditions; not because they want to or can’t afford a comfortable place to live; but because there is no conducive apartment in close proximity to the institutions.Kwame Nkrumah University of science and Technology (My own school) and Garden City University are prime examples.
I also know the stress, effort and resources it took me before I got a place for an internet cafe business for my brother at Bantama, Kumasi. What these facts or complaints are pointing to is that there is a massive need for buildings, both residential and commercial. It is a known fact that shelter is one of the basic needs of man. Now for those who wouldn’t want to go through the ups and downs of running a business, you can choose to invest in development of hotels, school hostels for students, shopping malls, residential apartments, etc.
10. Importation of wears
Clothing is another basic need of man. Regardless of the economy, people must wear clothes and this includes shoes, bags, underwear, perfumes, etc. Now there is a fast growing trend now and that is “Used clothes” or “Recycled clothes" also known locally as "Fos" Since the economy is getting tougher and there’s need to be clothed, the masses have resolved to buying used clothes rather than new ones. Still yet, there is a market for new clothes; for men, women, and kids. You can source your materials from China, Hong Kong, Italy, France, Dubai, India, etc.If you want to know how to do this, contact me.
11. Daycare centerThe demand for quality childcare service is increasing daily. Parents are now working harder just to generate enough income to keep the family going, thus leaving them with less time for the children. Now to be honest with you, there are a lot of daycare centers existing but only a few are providing exceptional services; and parents that cherish their kids are never comfortable leaving their kids in a child care centre whose environment is dirty. If you can come in with exceptional service and creativity, you will make money from this business. Another thing you must know is that you can start this business from home.
13. Training centersEvery year, millions of people sit for examinations and tests in Ghana and most of these people usually need some kind of trainings or tutorials. You can position yourself as a provider of such training and make money off this niche. Examples of trainings you can offer include tutorial for individuals writing professional exams like , WAEC, ACT,SAT, BECE, etc.
14. Waste ManagementWaste management is another business with a future potential because Ghanaians are yet to imbibe the habit of proper waste disposal. However, companies like Zoomlion have been doing a lot to encourage proper waste disposal and management. Now there are several businesses you can start within the waste management niche and these include waste recycling, waste disposal, junk hauling, organic fertilizer production, etc.
15. Food processing
Another profitable industry to consider is the food processing industry. The concept of this industry is simply to take raw food materials and turn them into finished products. In fact, there are a lot of businesses you can do in this niche and examples of such businesses include Tomato puree production, Gari Processing, oil palm processing, groundnut processing, Fruit juice production, Rice milling, Beverage production. I intend to go into this business myself.